I am so excited about the change in seasons. It’s warm outside! Daylight savings is back! Also, today is Cinqo De Mayo! I thought we could celebrate with a recipe for my favorite margarita of all time! What is great about this recipe is that you can also make it a mocktail (no alcohol) if you're pregnant or prefer to not drink alochol. What I love about this margarita this time of year is that grapefruit is in season and it’s bursting with vitamin C....so that counts for something healthy, right? Right. :) Read on for my go to, never fail grapefruit jalapeño margarita recipe!
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime, juiced)
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar or 2 teaspoons simple syrup
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeño round (1/8th to ¼th inch wide, a little goes a long way!)
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice (about ½ large grapefruit, juiced, the real thing tastes better than store bought)
- 1½ ounces blanco/silver or reposado tequila (I prefer Don Julio)
Chili-salt rims and garnish
- 3 parts kosher salt (Himalayan adds a pink color which is pretty!)
- 1 part ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- Lime wedges
- Small grapefruit wedges for garnish, optional
- First, prepare your glasses. Mix together the salt and chili on a small, rimmed plate. Run a lime wedge around the outer top edge of your glasses, then roll the edges in the chili-salt so it sticks. Place one big ice cube or a few smaller ice cubes in each glass.
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar, add the lime juice, agave nectar and jalapeño slice. Use a muddler to crush the jalapeño. Pour in the grapefruit juice and tequila, then top off the shaker with ice. Fasten the lid on securely and shake well. (SANS tequila if you prefer no alcohol, or sans jalapeño if you prefer less kick)
- Strain the mixture into your prepared glasses. If you want to be cute about it, garnish the drinks with a small wedge of grapefruit, sliced halfway through the middle so it rests on your glass. Cheers!
What's your favorite cocktail of the season?